Pages

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Quick and Easy Afternoon Snack-Chocolate Nut Crunch

Some times I really want something sweet in the afternoon and I do not want the processed gross stuff.  One afternoon, I went to my cabinet and looked to see what I could throw together quickly and easily to be able to enjoy.  This is what I came up with. If any of you know me, I do not ever measure when I am cooking.  I always "eyeball" it. 

Chocolate Nut Crunch
1 cup pecans
1 cup walnuts
1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/4 cup wheat germ
1-2 handfuls of chocolate chips

Preheat oven 400 degrees.  Mix nuts, oats, and flakes and toast on a 9x13 pan (I use stoneware, love it!) for approximate 10-15 mins, till you can smell them.  Shake and or stir them in the pan as you toast them. A good rule of thumb, when you start to smell them roasting, they only need a couple more minutes before they are done.
I do not like to make more work for my self if not necessary, I will use the same bowl for numerous things.  Mix the chocolate chips, chia seeds and wheat germ.  When the nut mixture is done toasting, immediately add to the chocolate mixture.  Stir until all is mixed and chocolate is melted.  Use the same 9x13 pan and pour mixture back on and smooth out.  Let cool approx 30 mins (I can't not ever wait the 30 mins, just saying) and break off into small chunks.  Enjoy.

What is your favorite afternoon go to snack?

No comments:

Post a Comment