Pages

Friday, May 31, 2013

Balsamic Vinaigrette

This is so easy, I can't believe I am even posting this!  I suggest taking a moment and consider purchasing a really great balsamic vinegar.  Buying any vinegar is like buying a nice bottle of wine.  Try a couple and decide what taste you like best.  I would recommend the bottle being a dark bottle and grapes are from Italy.  It ought to be on the thicker side and not as runny.  Most bottles will give a percentage on the acidity level of the vinegar.  I like mine between a 6-8%.  Still sweet but with a kick.  One of these days I will make my own until then, I buy this one, Aceto Balsamico Di Modena, although I did not spend that much on it! You don't have to get it at Dean and Deluca either, I just liked the way they described it.

Base Balsamic Vinaigrette
1/3 cup good quality balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup good quality olive oil
1-2 TB of local honey
Sea Salt and cracked black pepper to taste

Whisk in a bowl or put all ingredients into a mason jar, put the lid on it and shake.  I deviate from this a bit, but I use this as a base recipe.

You can add:
1 garlic clove, minced
1 TB of a good stone ground mustard
Mix

Or you could add:
2 TB of Organic Raspberry Jam instead of honey

Experiment and make it your own!  That is what cooking is all about!

No comments:

Post a Comment